An historic rowing destination

posted Sep 10, 2020, 5:30 AM by Posts Editor   [ updated Sep 10, 2020, 6:51 PM ]
A few hundred metres downstream from the Egg Island canal entrance on the Cradoc side of the river is the old Rowe family farm Orchardlea.  The Rowes were heavily involved in the shipping trade, and the remains of two of their boats are still there.  'Skipjack' was built as a ketch in Franklin in 1861, and later converted to steam.  All that remains visible of her is the stem, poking up out of the river.  Behind her in the picture below is Taruna, propped on the bank.  In her heyday Taruna was a very sleek ferry, see the pic from Graham Broxham's book 'Those that survive' below.





 
  Pics from Dennis Muscovich and Endra O'May